Monday, March 21, 2011

There's a party in my ovaries

I just got back from my very first sonogram to check my uterus lining and my ovaries for egg follicles.  Let me just begin by saying that a vaginal ultrasound is uncomfortable when the tech can't find what they are looking for.  My right ovary was easy to find...but the left one was hiding.  At one point I thought that jelly covered wand was gonna come protruding through my abdomen.  After having no luck on the left side, the tech moved to a abdomen ultrasound and was able to locate the ovary.

Results:
My uterine lining looks good, but still a bit thin.  My right ovary has 11 measurable follicles with the largest one measuring at only 9.5mm.  The left ovary has only 2 measurable follicles with the largest of those being 11mm.  In addition to the measurable follicles in both ovaries, there are many other very small ones. 
I have tons of follicles...they are just still early/small.  If I had to visualize what that looks like in there...it would be something like this :)

Ideally, my doctor wants follicles at 18mm before moving forward with my trigger shot and scheduling the IUI.  I have to return this Friday for another ultrasound and hopefully we will have a few mature follicles at that point.  IUI could be as soon as this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment