Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Leftovers....

You know there is something unexpected that was brought to my attention. Keeping my fingers crossed that our IVF is successful the first time, we will likely have extra embryos remaining. These embryos can be stored frozen for 1 year following the IVF procedure and after that we have 4 choices.

This is what is in question...a few extra of these








 This is not to be confused with what would be considered a fetus.  The embryos in question (picture ABOVE) is simply a group of diving cells at the time it is frozen.  No shape, no arms, legs or heartbeat.












What do we do with the little balls of mass potential? 
We can:
1. pay yearly to keep them frozen indefinitely...year by year kept in storage
2. we can thaw them and throw them in the nearest trash can
3. we can donate them to science
4. we can donate them to another couple struggling with infertility

Let me just say...#2 is out. #3 I would have to do more research on. I would want to know what they are doing with them. I mean as long as they don't grow them into zombies or something I might be ok with it. Can they be used for medical advancements or treatment? Lots of questions with that one, but not ruling it out. I think at the end of the day we would go for #1 until we are ready to make a decision. I suppose donating your genetic embryos to someone else may seem odd at first, but until you feel the pain of not being able to have a child...you really can't have a justified opinion here.

I will be thinking more on this and weigh in again later...

Until then~
Yvonne

1 comment:

  1. My 2 cents: My vote is #1 or #4...my best friend went through this and was not successful and I do know what she felt being unable to conceive a child of her own. It is heartbreaking. So I would pay to keep them frozen until you can really decide... who knows ,you may want another little Sweetness OR give to a couple who may be on their last straw so to speak. You are right, until "you've been there" "you have no idea"!!

    Blessings to you and Ryan and you go on this journey!

    ReplyDelete