Friday, June 10, 2011

Dr. Appt. 6/10/11 OHSS and a possible freeze all... JOY :/

Went in this morning for another ultrasound and more bloodwork and was then sent home to "await" the phonecall from my IVF coordinator.  That call just came and I have mixed emotions about what I was told. 

My estrodial level is now at 5,402 and my pregesterone is now at a level 1.9 and my uterine lining is now measuring at a 16, which is great.  Based on these numbers, my medication instructions have changed.  Tonight I stay the same with 2 follistim vials/1 menopur vial and 5 units of Lupron.  Tomorrow I reduce to 1 follistim vial/1 menopur and 5 units of Lupron.  Sunday morning, I go in at 10am for more bloodwork.  Based on my Sunday results, my doctor will let me know the protocol for that evening.  My coordinator is thinking I will be doing my trigger shot(induction of ovulation) Monday evening, meaning that my egg retrieval is likely to be 36 hours later on Wednesday, June 15th.   What exactly happens during my procedure you wonder?  Here is a good video that I found that shows an actual egg retreival.  I will be put to sleep for this.


The not so wonderful news: I am at high risk for Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) and my doctor is already considering a freeze-all on this cycle.  You are probably asking at this point... what is hyperstimulation(OHSS)? and what is a freeze-all? 

*OHSS, or Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, is one of the most common complications of infertility treatment. As the fluid-filled egg follicles begin to grow within the ovary, the ovary enlarges. Sometimes, that fluid can cause fluid elsewhere in the body to shift into the abdominal cavity or the lungs. This syndrome usually occurs in women undergoing IVF, although it may rarely be seen in women taking injectable medications for an IUI cycle as well. OHSS most frequently occurs 5 to 10 days after the injection of HCG to prepare you for egg retrieval, though some women may experience symptoms a little earlier.
Symptoms include:
  • Weight gain (more than 5 pounds in 2 to 3 days)
  • Persistent nausea and/or vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Abdominal distension or swelling
  • Difficulty breathing or urinating
Needless to say, this is why they have me in their office about every 3 days lately :(

FREEZE-ALL... this simply means that they will do my egg retreival as planned and fertilize them as planned but then instead of transferring them to my uterus on day 5, they will freeze all of the embryos and plan on a transfer date in the future...with me this would be in August.  The freeze is done to prevent further complications from the OHSS to either myself or the baby.  This also calls for more medication, which means more money...

Can I just be pregnant already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment